[TowerTalk] Using riding mower to run radials (2nd Try)

mahlonhaunschild at cox.net mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Mon Apr 12 16:54:46 EDT 2004

I can say for certain that the Kubota BX-series machines only have lift, not downforce (since I own one).  I wish it had downforce too.

There is a tillage implement called a subsoiler that closely resembles a cut-down version of a cable knife.  I'm going to buy one & modify it with a tube along the back of the blade to knife in lots of things, besides radial wires.  There's something similar called a middle buster that has a "shoe" mounted on the bottom of the blade that plows a single furrow with the dirt on either side of the furrow.  Useful for shallow trenching.

Both of these implements have their "business ends" designed to pull down into the soil so that downforce from the 3 point hitch is not required.

Garden tractors don't have much capability for any of this, unless the machine in question has a sleeve hitch.  Then you can raise/lower stuff from the seat.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ