[TowerTalk] FW: Raising verticals

WD4K WD4K2 at charter.net
Tue Apr 13 16:58:58 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: WD4K [mailto:WD4K2 at charter.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 3:40 PM
To: Towertalk at Contesing.com
Subject: Raising verticals

I have an 80m 4 sq ready to go up. I am very concerned about buckling the
verticals on the way up. They feel very solid when lifting, seems like
they would be just fine but just too expensive to bet on. I have a bunch of
plans
but before I try them, some advice would be appreciated.
The verts are 48' of 2 1/8 aluminum, same diameter all the way. Each joint
is overlapped a couple of feet so they are very solid, all riveted with an
air riveter.
The ground supports are the typical 2X4 channels about 61/2 feet tall, set
in concrete as seen in most articles and books. Not fancy but very solid.
Pivot point is a foot or so above ground. I have trees to throw a
pully line over and lots of dacron... so any advice would really help before
break something:) Thanks, Tommy WD4K