[TowerTalk] Windmill Towers

Larry Saletzki wa9vrh at mtco.com
Fri Apr 16 15:59:26 EDT 2004

Hi Tim,

I can't vouch for putting one up but I did take one down a number of years
ago. It was a 40' and had what was left of the fan assembly and motor still
on it. This one was made in the late '30's from what I could find out. There
were two of us on the rather age worn oak platform but it with stood us
taking the fan and motor off. From there it was a dismantle and take apart
like an erector set. It did not move with the two of us on it which was real
good because I don't like heights. (yes even 40')
If I remember correctly it had an 8' spread on the legs and was a 4 legger.
What really amazed me was the old stove bolts came off with ease. There were
2 that needed a shot of WD-40 and one that requried the torch to loosen.
This windmill had been there for many years. It is an Aeromotor and they are
still in business:
http://www.aermotorwindmill.com/Index.asp

I believe it would make a great tower and could handle my sq feet of
antenna.
My 2 cents!
73 Larry WA9VRH