[TowerTalk] Windmill Towers

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 16 16:24:29 EDT 2004

Its probably because they are expensive.  There was a major maker of 4 leg
windmill type towers in the USA 30 years ago called Vesto Towers.  They ran
ads in QST and CQ and most small airports still have such a tower up.  They
were 30 to 100 feet and said to be Hurricane proof.  I do know that an
airforce base in Mississippi had a 100 footer that came down in Hurricane
Camille in 1969 (205Mph winds).  I seem to remember the Vesto owner was a
ham.  I looked in the Thomas Register a dozen years ago and did not find
them any longer.  Guess they went out of business.  did see a picture of the
100 year old W5's antenna and tower and its a windmill type tower.  I also
recall several DXers built there own 40 years ago.

Vesto had a mount mechanism on top and an optional tilt portion so the
antennas could be turned vertical to work on them.  I suspect if a windmill
tower is found some type of plate would have to be constructed to mount a
rotor.

Dave K4JRB