[TowerTalk] Brainstorming: A homebrew Steppir like beam....

Rob Frohne frohro at wwc.edu
Mon Apr 26 08:24:55 EDT 2004

On Apr 26, 2004, at 4:27 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

> At 01:28 AM 4/26/04, Tom Rauch wrote:
>> I certainly would never worry at all about stamping,
>> cutting, or punching BeCu. None of that creates dust, and
>> the dust is the POSSIBLE danger. The solder we use is very
>> likely a much more dangerous long term.
>
> Isn't it also worth focusing on the fact that the issues discussed in
> the article are all involved in  occupational exposures, which
> presuppose exposure 8 hours a day for months and probably years?  Just
> as those of us who once changed a couple of asbestos brake linings
> don't have to worry about mesothelioma from that source, a hobbyist
> machining beryllium copper for a day or two seems likely to be well
> outside any risk envelope.

Thanks Tom for the article citation.  I'm sure I come in contact with
nasty stuff more often than I know of.  For example, when changing the
oil in our van yesterday, I found a note saying that prolonged exposure
in rats caused cancer, so wash your hands thoroughly after changing the
oil.  There were several statements near the end of the article that
were scarier than the first part though, for example:

Recent animal models demonstrate that sensitization can occur by
exposure through the skin.

and

"In occupations with greater exposure to beryllium, you see more
disease, but the disease does not occur in everyone with a high
exposure, and on the flip side you see disease in people who have
almost [undetectable levels of] exposure."

BeCu is great stuff though when it comes to mechanical and electrical
properties.

Rob

--
Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.