[TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Apr 28 14:43:39 EDT 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:28:07 -0700, Jim Lux wrote:

>I think the major entry path for youth (today) into
>technical careers is a 4 year degree, inspired by one of the following:
>early exposure to technology; desire for a reasonably well paid career;
>natural aptitude; role model (parent in a technical profession, I wanna be
>an astronaut, etc.)

When I talk about entry path, I'm talking about the early life
experiences that get the kid interested in something that may or may
not be a career. Ham radio was a HUGE factor for my generation (born
1941) and continued to be for at least a couple of decades. Although it
is far less so today, it still CAN be there. I just met a guy whose
three kids are all licensed hams, and two have chosen technical
careers. Not only that, but he is an adult counselor for a local group
of kids who are learning radio, building kits, and getting licensed.
Some of those will also go into technical careers, and others who will
have a greater understanding of technical things. His wife has zero
interest. :)

Jim