[TowerTalk] BPL: Presidential Backing

Dave Bernstein aa6yq at ambersoft.com
Wed Apr 28 15:49:34 EDT 2004

There is nothing we do in HF that can't be done more effectively with
more modern technologies. The "BPL is bad because it interferes with HF
radio" argument makes us out as aging impediments to progress; its
equivalent to the antique car hobbyists arguing for 25 mph speed limits
on the interstates so they can continue to enjoy their Sunday drives.
The "ham radio is a vital means of introducing our youth to technology"
argument is also lame. Radio is indeed critical to ongoing technical
innovation, but not at the HF end of the spectrum. To extend the
previous analogy, not too many kids get into aeronautics these days by
working on their Uncle's Model A.

Universal high-speed internet connectivity is vital to our progress in
multiple dimensions, from health care to productivity to human
interaction. Its also a huge business opportunity for a telecom industry
that executed poorly during the last business cycle. BPL is a
technically flawed approach, but the "last mile" problem is a serious
impediment. BPL's exploitation of "existing wiring" generates broad
appeal and interest, making it all-too-easy to assume that the technical
problems can be overcome. It's a bandwagon no politician and few CEOs
can resist.

We will not stop BPL by invoking "spectrum preservation" or "what about
the kids?" arguments; attempting to regulate a promising technology to
death is futile. The only way to stop it is by providing an alternative
that is technically, logistically, and economically superior  -- one
that beats BPL in the marketplace. That alternative, of course, is
radio. We don't just need high-speed connectivity in our homes, we need
it wherever we happen to be. BPL will not address this need.

The challenge is obvious, and hams are in a great position to be part of
the solution. Its won't be a quick fix, but few good things rarely
are...

     73,

         Dave, AA6YQ