[TowerTalk] PL-259 vs N

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Apr 29 16:43:17 EDT 2004

> While it may be superior, at HF you'll never know the
> difference. Which one do you want to try and install
> up on a 100 ft (or any) tower? I've done both and I'll
> take the PL259!

The N connector has much less of an impedance bump, but that
doesn't matter below UHF.
The N does have gaskets and if installed properly is sealed
better.

That's pretty much where the advantages all stop.

The PL259 is easier to install, handles more power, and is
cheaper. It has a negligible bump at frequencies below a few
hundred MHz.

Folding the shield back is not very smart for all the
reasons already pointed out by others. It's tricks like that
that cause problems.