[TowerTalk] Ground system

William Sheh wsheh at atitec.com
Fri Apr 30 21:28:32 EDT 2004

I've been reading with interest what fellow members have been posting
regarding the depth and orientation of ground rods.

One must keep in mind that there are many different types of grounding
systems and that an effective grounding system consists of more than just
burying ground rods in the soil. The key factor to keep in mind is what one
is trying to protect against. Is it direct lightning strikes, induced
transient voltages/currents, side flashes or signal noise etc? Each type of
problem has its specific characteristics and strategies.

A horizontal conductor at a shallow depth (i.e. less than 3 feet) is
perfectly allowed under the NEC and may be sufficient for electrical safety
of normal household circuits, but it is definitely not suitable for a direct
lightning strike. Under high current loads (a few KA) a horizontal rod can
easily "jump" out of just a few feet of shallow soil coverage. A vertical
rod is better restrained in the soil. Current magnitude under fault dictates
how much electro-mechanical energy is created. This is often an overlooked
aspect in designing a grounding system.

If the issue is high frequency noise, then you would need to consider the
overall impedance of ground path to earth. Maybe even take into
consideration the "skin effect" of high frequency wave propagation in
different shape conductors.

Often times problems are created why one haphazardly adds grounding
electrodes and wires to an existing system, creating hazardous ground loops.
Proper bonding techniques are extremely important.

As is the case with any project, use the right tool for the right job. Also
use the right materials for the job.

One must also consider the prevailing environmental conditions. Is the area
subject to seasonal freezing, drying, flooding? Are you near any high
voltage/current sources? Does your equipment normally create any leakage
current?

Here are some references for those who are interested.
IEEE Std 80-2000, Substation Grounding
IEEE Std 142-1991, Grounding of commercial power systems
IEEE Std 1100-1991, Grounding of Sensitive Electronics
Mil Hnbk. 419-A, Grounding Protection
NFPA 780, Lightning Protection
UL Std 96A, Lightning Protection
UL Std 1449, Transient Voltage Surge Suppression

Will Sheh
Www.atitec.com