[TowerTalk] Yaesu vs. Tailtwister

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Mon Feb 16 15:09:53 EST 2004

At 01:05 PM 2/16/04 -0500, Mark Pride wrote:
>In a nutshell, the aluminum casting to mount the mast to the
>rotor is probably the weak link in the 1000SDX.

FWIW, later production G-1000s include a sheet in the instruction manual
telling how to sequence the tightening of the various bolts to avoid
putting a bending stress on the cast aluminum clamps, which is what kills
them.  In a nutshell, you need to be sure the clamps are tight on the mast,
then make sure they are concentric with the top of the rotator before you
tighten the bolts that tie them to the rotator, and finally tighten the
rotator mounting bolts on the rotator shelf.

A big plus for the Yaesus, in my opinion, is that there's no need for shims
regardless of the diameter of the mast (within the range of the clamps, of
course).

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the World HF Contest Station Database
Updated 9 Jan 04
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm