[TowerTalk] An unusual tuner

Mark Beckwith mark at concertart.com
Fri Jan 9 17:34:44 EST 2004

> I felt vindicated when Jim said:
>
> >Considering that the broadcast industry
> >uses the tuner approach, it's  probably
> >a winner.
>
> Yay!  Here's a photo of a some tuners, 1 per band:
>
> http://home.swbell.net/swca/radio/Tuners.JPG

By the way, for all you tuner buffs out there, I just noticed that this
photo includes a rather remarkable tuner.  In the center of the photograph
(below the vertical Maglite flashlight) is a small one-quart paint can with
no label and some knobs, switches and UHF connectors on it.

This tuner is a gift from Paul Bittner, W0AIH, who, like me, terminates each
coax at the shack with a matching network.  Whereas I have a mix of
homebrews, antiques and modified Dentrons, Paul built all of his from
scratch and houses them in these little paint cans.  I have run the Alpha at
full output through Paul's little can there and it works great (20 Meters).

In this photo it is taking the day off.

Mark, N5OT