[TowerTalk] hard hats

Tower (K8RI) tower at rogerhalstead.com
Tue Mar 2 17:52:39 EST 2004

A note about hard hats.

A hard hat is just that. It is a hard shell, supported by a set of straps,
away from the head.
There should be at least a half inch, or more, clearance between the shell
and the head.

> I have for years felt vaguely guilty working on a tower without a hard
hat,
> but the standard construction type are just too clumsy -- the suspension
> harness inside makes them wobble around on my head,

If they fit correctly they will not wobble. The hat should almost be stuck
in place.
I wore them at work for 26 years and never had a problem like that.

> and I'm forever hitting
> the front brim on the tower or antenna I'm working on, plus it restricts
my
> upward vision.

If it does it's being worn too low. You can also get them without brims, but
I'd not recomend it .
Like glasses it may take a bit of getting used to, but I much prefer the
brim.

> There *must* be something better -- recently I saw some "pro" tower guys
> working in what looked vaguely like the "almost no helmets" that some
> Harley guys like.  Someone referred to them as hockey helmets, but they
> looked more stripped down than that, with a pattern of holes over their
> surface (perhaps for cooling?)

I would imagine, what they are wearing are brimless hard hats with some
ventilation.

They may be popular, but you really don't want holes in a hard hat if you
are wearing it for protection from falling objects. I would assume these are
specifically designed and venilated hard hats that are OSHA approved and not
something they found handy.

Above all, do not use a bike helmet.  They are not designed to protect the
user from falling objects and are a "one-time-incident" device.  Bike
helmets are designed to protect the wearer from impact with the ground, or
large object.  They are much like the crush zones for todays cars.  They
spread the impact and colapse and will do little to protect the user from
dropped wrenches, screwdrivers and other objects. That and their design
tends to catch on things.  They are made of a soft material, not all that
different than the foam used in foam cups.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com