[TowerTalk] hard hats

N9EN at VOYAGER.NET n9en at voyager.net
Tue Mar 2 19:52:45 EST 2004

Hello Pete & all,

I don't feel the least bit "guilty" when I am at work on a
tower and not wearing a "hard hat." My employer, Alcoa,
forces us to wear these silly plastic hard hats (and meta-
tarsal steel-toe work shoes/boots and eye protection)
in their Beloit, WI factory.

I work in the FOUNDRY,where temps normally run
90 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit; temps being much hotter
if I have to work any appreciable distance off of the
floor or around any of the aluminum-melting natural
gas-fired furnaces.

As far as working on a tower is concerned... if it's cold
outside, I'll wear a baseball-style cap or put on a stock-
ing hat if it's really cold outside. In the summer, I usually
wear a baseball cap to prevent my mostly-bald head
from getting sunburned.

You guys can have your hard hats - I get more than
enough of them at WORK...

Good luck to all!

73 de Brad, N9EN @ Radio Free Roscoe (IL) [tm]