[TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Oct 17 17:13:52 EDT 2004

>          Par Electronics offers the following series of
> End-Fed 1/2 wave antennas which require NO radial
> and NO tuner.  I've been using the EF-20/40 which
> works very well with direct feed from my QRP rig.
> With the EF-20/40 plus KD1JV's AT Sprint 2, I have a
> complete 20/40 station including transceiver, battery,
> earphones, paddle and antenna (no tuner needed) that
> weighs ~1 lb total.
>
> http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamwire/4456.html

We shouldn't mistake that for a good system. The only reason
you get away with it is you are running QRP, or have a lucky
feedline length.

It is impossible to end-feed a half wave antenna without
having equal current entering the feed cable as common point
as the current entering the antenna end. That's what makes
these antennas unpredictable.

73 Tom