[TowerTalk] Radials, etc., for a new (to me) tower

johna8119-amps@yahoo.com johna8119-amps at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 18:13:36 EDT 2005

I'm putting up a 75' telescoping US Tower.  I would like some advice, since this is my first
endeavor into towers.  Here is the plan for my situation:
                   ___________________________
Plan:       _______| <--40'------------------>|
      ^     |               ^                 |
      |     |               |           Shack |________
   Front    |               | House       on  |       |
     of     |              20'          Third |       |
  House     |               |           Floor |Deck   |
            |______         |            Here |       |
                { }|________V_________________|       |
                { }                |                  |
{ } is the proposed location for the antenna.  I'll be putting a 5' cube of concrete as a base.
What should I do about radials, ground wire, etc.  Right now, the ground wire is a (very)long run
of 12-2 down and around the deck to a single ground rod.  The deck is the roof for a
basement-level bedroom and bathroom.  The I am restricted regarding radials, etc., because the
area behind the antenna and the house is an asphalt-paved driveway.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
John
w4kv