[TowerTalk] grounding

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Fri Oct 14 23:59:02 EDT 2005

> into the ground another 20 feet away from the cold water
pipe , but on the
> other side of the house and outside? What is needed to be
bonded to what? If
> not to use the rod outside and bond the coax (and the
shack ground) to same
> water pipe, that would probably invite a lightning right
into the house
> where it will travel on the coax shield 20 feet before
hitting the common
> ground which is the water pipe, and everything else on its
way. Or should I
> cut the panel connection from the pipe and move it to the
rod outside, to
> where also my coax arrive  on the opposite side of the
house?

Ivan,

Bonding something does not invite a strike. When you have a
strike, the energy seeks a path through whatever it finds to
whatever looks like a large mass.  If you have a strike on
the power lines some large amount of energy will try to
"ground" to your antenna system. That's because the antenna
system is a large electrical mass  and the power line ground
rods at the pole outside and house are small.

Same thing in reverse if it hits your tower or antenna.. The
antenna and any ground will not sink the charge, and a large
amount will try to flow through whatever it can to reach
other large electrical masses like the miles of power lines
connected to the house.

What you would do by bonding to the same pipe is make that
pipe a direct path, and most of the current would flow along
that pipe. This is often much better than letting current
flow through house wiring from one point to another.

If I was in your position I would probably run wide copper
flashing along the shortest possible path between the two
entrances and bond them. If possible and reasonable would
also try to get a perimeter ground wire just outside the
house circling the house if possible, and bond it to the
things coming in to the house.

The best idea is always to provide a direct heavy path to
control voltage differences so everything rises at the same
rate. This reduces current flowing through unwanted paths.

73 Tom