[TowerTalk] Radials and What is Working for Me

Pat Chiles chilesp at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 17 11:53:24 EDT 2005

I thought I would add to the many post concernign radial installation.  I do not know if it is a unique approach or not, but I don't remember seeing what I am doing mentioned.

 I found that just running out a radial and pinning it just doesn't work for me.  I have thick grass and the radial is held above the dirt and in harms way.  I found cutting fence wire and bending it into staples to be time consuming and tend to make the fingers sore after a couple hundred.  I liked the bobbie pin approach, but I was paying a dollar for a card of 100 and quickly exhausted the local supply of cheap bobbie pin (no joke).  Didn't have time to wait for them to be shipped to me.  What I came up with that is working really well for me is  papper clips and a weed whacker.

I found if you hold your weed whacker upside down that the cutting cord is easily held vertically to the ground.  It is quick and easy to cut a 1/2 - 3/4 inch channel in the sod down to the dirt and along side of a radial laying on the grass.  The papper clip is quickly made into a "J" hook and the radial pinned out of harms way against the dirt.  The papper clips are $5 for a 1000 at Staples office supply.  I made a 150 "J" hooks last night while watching one show on TV.

It works for me.   Hope it helps someone else.

Pat, K8PC