[TowerTalk] Tower Foundation Question

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Oct 24 14:42:36 EDT 2005

In a message dated 10/23/2005 9:13:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  All:
>  I have a question about tower foundation design. My current Self supporting
tower uses a "drilled pier" style foundation that is 4.5 ft dia x 8.5 ft
deep. I am relocating to a new QTH, and the current quote to drill such a
foundation is a bit out of reach cost wise, mainly due to the drill rig
required.
>  I am familiar with the "slab" style foundations that could be dug with just
a backhoe. That style uses more concrete and rebar, but the over-all cost
should be less since the high priced drill rig is not required. This time, I
have plenty of space to use a slab. Any comments or recommendations from the
group?

    I recently priced out a drilled pier base and the estimate was $4-7K! And
that was just for the drilling - concrete and rebar extra.

    We decided to go with another design that we could do ourselves by
renting rent a Bobcat for a couple of hundred - a much better $$ solution.

    Sounds like a pretty easy decision.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH -