[TowerTalk] Rotor damage prevention

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 04:52:38 EDT 2005

I found that the big problem with the GS065 was corrosion of the adjusting screws. I've just changed one after it had been up for 20 years: the adjusting screws (and the attaching screws) were rutsed solid, and the whole thing had to be scrapped. I've replaced it, and this time used stainless steel screws with a generous amount of grease in the threads in the hope that the grease will prevent binding. The technique apparently worked in the smoke box of steam locomotives on steel studs in cast iron: that's probably a worse environment for corrosion than the top of the tower.

73

Peter G3RZP