[TowerTalk] GUYS AND COAX

Cqtestk4xs@aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Sep 22 14:58:02 EDT 2005

In a message dated 9/22/05 6:43:57 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
RXDesign at ssvecnet.com writes:
Obviously you and others
compromised in a different manner and that is perfectly fine - your decision
- only do not (as Bill did) lessen our decision if we
decide to go with Steel with insulators
I did not say that using insulators was cheaping out.  My implication was
that using straight runs of EHS where fiberglass use would improve the pattern
was cheaping out.  One can get pretty much the same effect using insulators.
That is standard practice on broadcast towers.

The bottom line is still the same...If you are going to invest thousands of
dollars in a radio, amp, tower and miscellaneous concrete, rotors and such, it
IS cheaping out (or if we want to make it more politically correct) foolish
decision, to not do something about the guy wires if they look to be
problematic.  Whether you want to use insulators, Philly or Polyrod, that cost is going
to be a very small percentage of all the bucks you spend on the other stuff.

By the way, in my cheaping out statement I included coax.  Even more
important than the guy wire is the choice of a good quality coax.  I wish I had a
dollar for each guy I met at a hamfest with a roll of used no-name brand coax of
RG8 or worse yet RG58, that he was going to use on his HF, or even worse yet, 2
meter setup.

Bill  K4XS