[TowerTalk] Looking for Sky-Needle Tower Owners

James C. Garland 4cx250b at muohio.edu
Sun Jun 10 14:04:52 EDT 2007

Hi Gang,

A few months ago I put up a Tashjian TM-370D  70' Sky-Needle (same design
formerly made by Triex). and would like to find some owners of Sky-Needles
to compare notes with. The TM-370D is a heavy-duty version of the TM-370.
It's a three-section telescoping tubular tower, rated at 35 sq.ft windload @
70 mph and 950 lbs antenna dead weight. It telescopes with a 50:1 gear
reduction and 1.5 hp motor, with a remote control in my station.  It has
only one 3/8 in cable that runs up and down through the sections several
times and serves both as the pull-up and pull-down cable. It's hinged at the
base, with a tilt fixture. There aren't very many Sky-Needles around, which
surprises me, given the popularity of tubular crankups. My zoning
restrictions only permit a tubular crankup. This is a brute of a tower that
works very well but has a few idiosyncracies, and I'd like to see if there
are other guys to share ideas with.

Tnx and 73,

Jim W8ZR