[TowerTalk] Serving Tool for guy wire

Roger D Johnson n1rj at roadrunner.com
Thu Jul 10 18:36:47 EDT 2008

AD5VJ Bob wrote:
> In reading the ROHN cat it talks about a serving tool used to wrap the guy wire back onto itself and around and around as a part of
> installing the guy wire. I can not seem to find a 'serving tool' for this purpose anywhere on the internet does anyone know where to
> find one?
>    73 fer nw es gud DX,
> Bob AD5VJ
> http://www.ad5vj.com/
> Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET

Good grief! How old is that catalog? From my days in the Coast Guard, I
remember my CG manual showing how to use a serving tool but never
actually saw one. It's used to form an "eye" in the end of wire rope.
It's time consuming to do correctly and dangerous if done incorrectly.
There are much better ways to do it today. Wire rope clamps, Nicopress
sleeves and preformed guy grips are quicker and easier.

I think the reason you can't find one is that no one uses them anymore!

73, Roger

Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list