[TowerTalk] Topband: Insulators for enclosure?

Wilson A. Caselli wcaselli at webkorner.com
Fri Jan 2 17:46:35 EST 2009

The correct name is "feed-through insulator", not stand-off insulator.

Look Here:
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp?ID=1222&PLID=166&SecID=81&DeptID=32&PartNo=DXE%2DVFCC%2DH10%2DA

I have one of the above feedline current chokes mounted at the base of my
Hy-Tower.  It is working great for me.

Many years ago companies like National Radio, J.W. Millen, & E.F. Johnson
(and others) had these feed-through
insulators available (in various sizes) as catalog items.  To my
recollection, Coors Technical Ceramics was most-likely
the source for most of these products.

May I suggest you download a product manual from MFJ on one of their KW
antenna tuners, then look-up
the MFJ part number for the feed-through insulators used in it.  MFJ is very
accommodating and quick
as long as you give them a MFJ part numbers.  MFJ also has a price list
posted on line.
One possible MFJ feed-through insulator is # 606-1006 at $3.95 each, but I
suspect it may be too
small for your application (you may need a longer creep distance for higher
voltages).

Surplus Sales at: http://www.surplussales.com/Antennas/Antennas-6.html  has
a (ICR) 9548 which would
likely do the job too.