[TowerTalk] Keeping stranded center conductors from expanding

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 7 10:16:43 EST 2009

Thanks.    I will try this.

Regards

Mark
VE7AFZ

----- Original Message ----
From: Kimo Chun <kimo at lava.net>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:36:38 PM
Subject: [TowerTalk] Keeping stranded center conductors from expanding

In situations where I wanted to keep stranded coaxial center conductors
perfect I will cut down to the center conductor further down the dielectric
than normal. Then rather than sliding the dielectric all the way off as is
customary I slide it part way so it still captures the end of the center
conductor and doesn't allow it to change orientation. Then I allow some
solder to soak into the strands to lock them in place. Then I pull the
dielectric the rest of the way off and trim the conductor with cable cutters
(not diagonal cutters) through the solder area. The strands remain perfect
as if still encapsulated in the dielectric. This works so long as you can
tolerate the addition of the solder.

Some dielectrics are rather stiff (non-foam types) and are formed in a
spiral following the conductor. With these you may have to unscrew the
dielectric off to keep the center conductor true.

Kimo Chun, KH7U

Message: 1