[TowerTalk] A3S Tuning Question

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 18 21:03:56 PDT 2009

It i difficult to install A3 traps backwards, but they certainly can
be installed in the wrong place. A good Gate Dip Oscillator will tell
you which is which.

I have an original A3 (not S) that has seen the original hardware
replaced with stainless stuff. The dimensions in the original
direction sheet are slightly different than the A3S models - the
current dimensions are the better ones to use. The lengths of the
reflector and director will be noted in the driven element SWR - I
found it best to set the lengths as they are shown in the manual. I
also have had difficulties getting  the 40 meter add-on kit to tune
properly with my antenna because of differences in the reflector and
director to what was actually needed.

It is also possible that a trap can go bad; replacements are available
from Cushcraft if need be. The folks there are also quite helpful.
There is a rework sheet on the web that describes how to rework an A3,
including the trap resonant frequencies. Googling for A3S should find
it.

The antenna works quite nicely, I have enjoyed mine for quite a while
even though I am stuck on a small city lot with height restrictions
(30 feet).

On Mar 18, 2009, at 7:13 PM, Bill Aycock wrote:

> Mike is probably right.  I was  lucky with the one I got (used) The
> guy who
> disassembled mine left the traps connected on one of the tubes, to
> avoid
> errors. (and save work)
>
> Bill-W4BSG

- Jack Brindle, W6FB