[TowerTalk] Moving big rocks

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Apr 1 11:48:34 PDT 2010

Dynamite is certainly the fun way, but now days they require a "powder
permit, or license".
I've dug holes through hard pan and within feet of windows without
breaking anything, but it takes a little at a time.
Now days, and some one already mentioned this stuff, but I can't
remember the name,  you mix the goop up, pour in holes, go do something
else over night and come back to find the rock neatly broken...if you
drilled the holes in the right places.  There was a discussion on here
about the stuff within the last year so it should be in the archives.

On the farm, besides busting them up the noisy (and messy) way, we used
to work them onto a skid  that consisted of a piece of relatively thin
steel with a reinforced leading edge and eyes welded on for chain. Once
on the steel some pretty large rocks can be moved around with relatively
small tractors.

One reason we didn't blast them was due to the small (and not so small)
shards that are formed.  You have to darn near pick up all of them as
they sure are hard on tractor tires even if those tires are steel
belted. It really didn't take much dynamite to bust up a rock, but it
took a lot of drilling. A quarter to half stick at the bottom of a drill
hole poured full of soupy clay would work wonders.That worked in long
drill holes, but not very well in short ones.

73

Roger (K8RI)