[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 88, Issue 45

hanslg at aol.com hanslg at aol.com
Tue Apr 13 11:30:49 PDT 2010

 Hi Steve,

On the higher frequencies, >144 MHz, the noise received at the antenna is usually (unless you have problems with QRM and QRN) close to or lower than the thermal noise. Your possibility of receiving a signal is then limited by the noise factor in the receiving system (your antenna, feeders and receiver). If you don't have an antenna with good directivity (to get a good signal), a low loss feeder (not to loose signal and add thermal noise) and a low noise receiver (not to add noise to your signal) you will have problems receiving weak signals. At HF the received signal already comes with a good amount of noise (the noise temperature is high, to use a "professional" term). If you loose some signal in your feeder you loose noise just the same so your signal/noise figure stays about the same. Naturally, if you have plenty if looses you will at some point loose too much signal to hear your station.

Think about it: You rarely hear about anyone putting a pre-amp at the antenna when working HF but you find it frequently when working VHF/UHF such as moon-bunch, TV reception etc. I don't think anybody would even think about adding even a short coax between the antenna and receiver working 10 GHz.

Hans - N2JFS