[TowerTalk] Tower Lighting

Larry Burke wi5a at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 17:50:32 PDT 2010

You may have just answered one of the great mysteries of my morning commute.
Recently a 2000 foot commercial tower was erected not too far from where I
live. It has BOTH flashing red lights and strobes, but they do not run at
the same time. At daybreak the reds go off and the strobes go on. At dusk,
the opposite takes place. Two other nearby 2000 footers have strobes on
24/7. None of these towers is painted red/white. So it sounds like it's
legal to run strobes during the day but not red lights.... and strobes are
required during the day if there is no red/white painting?

This still does not answer the question why the new tower has two lighting
systems. Why not just run strobes all the time and not bother with red
lights at all?

Larry K5RK