[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Tower Bolts Torque Setting

Mark Robinson markrob at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 30 12:58:53 PDT 2010

The thing was that on Rohn 25 you get nowhere near the limits of the bolt
before the tubing of the tower starts to crush. A small amount of crush is
required without causing the tower leg to become permanently oval. I have
seen legs badly crushed by over zealous tightening.

 The legs on the Rohn 45 are much thicker and can take a lot more before the
leg starts to crush. I guess there are no published Rohn guide lines. It may
be more important with a non guyed 25 or 45 where slop in the tower will
eventually cause the bolt holes to become oval. This is probably not going
to happen with a guyed tower which has a strong downward force exerted by
the guy wires.

Mark N1UK