[TowerTalk] Breaking all the tower climbing rules at anamazingheight...

Neil Sheldon azneil at cox.net
Wed Dec 1 20:21:04 PST 2010

There was a saying when I was growing up that "... 'something or other' ...
will happen so fast, it will make your head swim!" When I first moved West,
we were driving thru the mountains, and we would come around a curve, and
the view would open up to a huge vista where you were a couple thousand feet
in the air and could see for like 25 or 30 miles, and it felt like my brain
was spinning around in my head.  It's Vertigo. I got an ear infection a long
time ago, and the balancing mechanisms in my inner ear decided to take a
sick leave. I got Vertigo so bad that I literally couldn't stand, and I
could hardly lay still with my eyes closed. They had to carry me to the car
and into the hospital. At it's worst, even the slightest movements caused
vomiting. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me. It was then that
I realized what that old 'saying' was really talking about.  Fortunately,
although it seemed like 'forever' when I was going thru the experience, I
got over that relatively quickly. However, some people, uninitiated to
heights, experience something similar when watching videos like this. (Most
likely, it's probably a less intense version than my experience, but
mentally upsetting [which quickly transfers to the physical] none-the-less;
and it can inspire real fear for your life.) I got a slight feeling of
'revisiting' old times when I watched this video for the first time.

Neil,
K7WK