[TowerTalk] Breaking all the tower climbing rules atanamazingheight...

Roger (K8RI) K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Dec 2 00:39:01 PST 2010

On 12/1/2010 11:21 PM, Neil Sheldon wrote:
> There was a saying when I was growing up that "... 'something or other' ...
> will happen so fast, it will make your head swim!" When I first moved West,
> we were driving thru the mountains, and we would come around a curve, and
> the view would open up to a huge vista where you were a couple thousand feet
> in the air and could see for like 25 or 30 miles, and it felt like my brain
> was spinning around in my head.  It's Vertigo.
You should try flying an airplane in a storm so thick you can't see the
prop, while the turbulence is crushing you down into the seat one second
and your harness is pulling you down the next all the while with a case
of vertigo so bad you have to put your finger on each instrument for
your scan. The turbulence makes you miss the instrument and your mind is
so messed up you can't remember which instrument you were after and this
is while you are so sick you think you are gonna die...then you are
afraid you won't.  That was my first experience in a storm as an
instrument student in a high performance, complex, retract.  The
instructor just sat there and once in a while he'd reach up and tap the
yoke if I wasn't holding course within a couple of degrees and altitude
within a 100 feet.
> I got an ear infection a long
> time ago, and the balancing mechanisms in my inner ear decided to take a
> sick leave. I got Vertigo so bad that I literally couldn't stand, and I
> could hardly lay still with my eyes closed. They had to carry me to the car
> and into the hospital. At it's worst, even the slightest movements caused
> vomiting. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me. It was then that
> I realized what that old 'saying' was really talking about.  Fortunately,
> although it seemed like 'forever' when I was going thru the experience, I
> got over that relatively quickly. However, some people, uninitiated to
> heights,
It's not being initiated although like an ice skater spinning, you get
used to the motion. What you had was really vertigo, but the "spacial
disorientation is what happens when the sense of balance and what the
eye see disagree. That is often mistakenly called vertigo and can make
the recipient just as miserable/sick.

Physically some people are far more  prone to both spacial
disorientation and vertigo. Ice skaters still get dizzy from spinning,
but they learn to tolerate it.  I used to watch new skaters learning to
spin, go out and spin until they were  about ready to hurl. Then go set
in the bleachers until they felt better and then go back out for another
round. Some of them would keep repeating this for close to an hour.

However no one is immune to vertigo. The FAA has what is called the
"vertigo chair". They blind fold you, strap you in the chair and slowly
spin it up while you point in the direction your are spinning, once the
chair reaches a steady state most will indicate it has stopped, then
they start slowing it down. At that point the rider points in the
opposite direction.   Then they abruptly stop the chair. If it wasn't
for being restrained...or caught the rider would come right out of the
chair in the direction opposite to the spin.
>   experience something similar when watching videos like this.
The only video that has given me a sense of motion was IMAX and the
flight down the canyon on the Death Star in Star Wars. Even then it was
not overwhelming.

OH! very relevant to tower climbing is the old adage of "don't look
down".  That may bother those who are bothered by heights, but if you
really want to grip the tower, look up to watch the clouds moving
overhead.  You'll darn near leave fingerprints in the tower legs. <:-))
THAT does make me feel like the tower is going over, although it doesn't
make me nauseous. If sensitive to motion, "Don't look up!"

73

Roger