[TowerTalk] Fw: who's "right" (a tuner question)

Sam Andrews sandrews at aristotle.net
Tue Dec 7 08:27:02 PST 2010

One possibility to explain the readings on the MFJ instrument when it is
looking into the antenna vs. when it is looking into the tuner input . . .

Usually the Q of a tuner that is tuned to a specific frequency is higher,
and the input bandwidth is narrower, when compared to the input Q and
bandwidth of an antenna (or dummy load).  If the signal source of an
instrument such as the MFJ is not as clean (i.e., spurious nearby
off-frequency signal levels are higher) than a typical transmitter,  one
possible effect is that these spurious signals would be reflected when
applied to the hi-Q tuner input (and detected by the MFJ as reflected
signals), while being absorbed by the antenna (not reflected).

This opinion is not based on actual experience with the MFJ, but on my
experience working on UHF transmitters with spurious signal problems.  When
connected directly to a dummy load, those problems didn't show up, but did
show up when connected to the dummy load through a frequency-selective
circuit, such as a resonant cavity or duplexer).  Same principle, I believe.

73, Sam  AE5L