[TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 18:01:30 PST 2010

Well, Chip created controversy on here (and elsewhere)...  He seems to have made a market for his cell phone and other UHF antenna products - and more power to him...  This is 'supposed' to be a capitalistic economy where you take risks and get to keep the rewards (or losses)...
But having Gov't / DOD contracts is not necessarily proof positive of a superior product...

Having said that, as an empirical antenna nutcase, I am unable to visualize where bending my dipole into lebenty zillion short segments at angles to each other will improve the performance...
He and Tom, W8JI, got pretty personal in the dispute...  Tom made his antenna arguments with an analysis of the fractal antenna based on the laws of physics, and some fairly deep math...  Tom comes across as a good old boy, but his education is solid in electrical engineering and he has the annoying habit of being 'right' most of the time...

Anyway, it has been peaceful since Chip left the scene (or was pushed)and I prefer it that way...

denny / k8do