[TowerTalk] Ideas for SMALL diameter support "rope"...

Dan Zimmerman N3OX n3ox at n3ox.net
Sun Dec 19 20:43:40 PST 2010

> If you think in a short time
> other option can be looking for some kite  line  like dacron in several
> brands
> and models like black death

I had this same consideration when I was choosing top guy ropes for my 60
foot Spiderbeam vertical.  "Stealth" wasn't *exactly* the primary goal, but
I wanted the guy ropes to be pretty visually unobtrusive, and I wanted them
to be very lightweight for the strength.  I also found the kite places.

I tried the 50lb Black Death kite string (probably 0.015 inches) and it
snapped in the first big wind.   Probably would have worked great to hold up
a magnet wire dipole or something, I guess, but too weak for guying my
vertical.   I moved up to some 0.050" dacron and haven't had a problem
since.   I *think* it's the 150lb Black Death kite line.  I have an order in
my email for LBD150 from kitebuilder.com:

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/30_70

That's also where I got the 50lb Black Death line at another time.  I don't
know for sure but I bet the 100lb stuff is about 0.030 and the 190 is
probably about 1/16"

73
Dan