[TowerTalk] Fwd: Using aluminum wire [or aluminum clad wire]

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 12:29:02 PST 2010

 It is the square, hard pin that is the secret behind the good and reliable connection of wire wrapped connections. You will not even get a close result if you wrap a wire around a round pin. (Been there, done that, and that was tin plated Cu wire on tin plated Cu pins.) You have the same mechanism with wire nuts. Inside the nut is a spiral spring made of square wire. The sharp corners will press themselves into the softer metal in the conductor and form a "gas tight" connection.

I wonder if we can use wire nuts to make the connections to Al wires in antennas. Simple and cheap. Any comments?

Hans - N2JFS