[TowerTalk] How To Avoid Telescoping Mast Colapse

EZ Rhino EZRhino at fastmovers.biz
Fri Nov 18 17:05:42 PST 2011

I built a 50' mast of this very stuff...chain link fence top rail, starting with about 2 1/2" or so at the bottom and tapering to 1" at the top.  A falling derrick method is the best way to get it up, but I actually built a truss to keep the majority of the length of it "straight", and just picked it off the ground at the halfway point and walked it up, while a friend pulled one of the guy ropes to help out when it got over 45 degrees.    I use a four guy system at two levels, 25' and 40' (I think).  When you start pricing the pipe required for this you will find it is cheaper to buy a ready make mast like the Tessco.  However if you have the stuff lying around, it works great.

Chris
Kf7P