[TowerTalk] Long rotor run

Steve Jones n6sj at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 10:09:16 PST 2011

Ed-

Do you know the voltage actually reaching the rotor?  When I had this
problem with a Yaesu rotor on a long run of cable, I added a "boost" AC
transformer in series with the rotor line at the control head.  I used a
5VAC filament transformer and wired secondary in series with the AC voltage
to the rotor.  The first time I tried it, I had wired it backwards and the
transformer "bucked" the rotor voltage, dropping it from 28V to 23V.  I
reversed the leads which then added the 5V in "boost" mode.  So instead of
28V leaving the shack I had 33V, which sagged to about 29-30 volts by the
time it got through my long cable.  This was with standard 8-wire rotor
cable so I saved the additional cost of running larger copper wire.  I just
put the boost transformer in a small box and wired the 110V primary in
parallel with the on/off switch for the rotor control.  The rotor worked
fine this way for 10 years until my quad antenna came down.

73,

Steve
N6SJ