[TowerTalk] SWR Readings

Robert Chudek - K0RC k0rc at citlink.net
Tue Aug 21 16:10:11 EDT 2012

Hello Ralph...

I concur with Don, VE6JY's observations.

I have the AEA HF Analyst meter. When I tried using it at field day it
went "wild", sometimes plotting reasonable VSWR graphs and other times
(same antenna, no change except to rescan a second time) it went "nuts"
with odd readings. Soon I related the behavior to the other guys keying
CW and testing the SSB stations in other tents. The meter worked fine as
long as they were not transmitting.

There are BC Band filters that can be inserted inline. But I don't know
whether this would affect the VSWR readings you are trying to make.
Here's one of those (receive only) filters for $65:
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/bcb_filters_top1.htm

Hopefully others will comment whether they have used these and if it
solves the measurement consistency issue you are seeing. My qth is
pretty isolated from any local BC energy so I have not tried one of
these myself.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN