[TowerTalk] Vertical Radials

John jh.graves at verizon.net
Tue Jun 25 16:07:21 EDT 2013

I hope, to add some amplification to David's reply, I would add that
basically, when you connect to ground, you have connected to anything
else that is also connected to ground.  As an addendum, I would also add
that anything less than 1/2 wave vertical is going to require ground
connections AND radials.  In effect the radial field  mirrors the
vertical 1/4 wave and makes the antenna more closely act as a 1/2 wave
antenna,  Within reason, the longer the radials out to about 1/4 wave,
the more effective the radial system and pattern is going to be.  Also,
12 to 16 radials is not bad and double that is better.

Cheers and good luck.

John / WA11JG