[TowerTalk] rotating delta loop

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 18 14:21:08 EDT 2013

On 9/17/13 10:04 AM, Richard Karlquist wrote:
> On 2013-09-17 08:25, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>  Au contraire. N0AX and I have published 2 actual on-the-air antenna
>> comparison tests with a couple of dozen antennas and haven't heard
>> from anyone except readers who have appreciated the work involved and
>> the unbiased results.
>
> Hard to comment since I haven't seen your report.
> I'll assume it is of excellent quality.

I have a copy, and it's excellent.  Well controlled measurements,
description of test setups, etc.

> Does it actually make any antenna look really bad?
As I recall, there weren't any HUGE surprises comparing the "design"
against "theoretical expectation for that design".   Sure enough, gain
is mostly a function of boom length.  For a given boom length, bandwidth
is a function of number of elements, etc.

Now, was there a discrepancy between "gain claims in a variety of
sources" and "measured gain"... sure.. and the magnitude and
significance of that is in the "eye of the manufacturer".   How would
you like to have published measurements showing your gain relative to a
reference dipole is substantially different than you claim? (I don't
have the report in front of me, so I don't recall if this is the case).

There are folks who believe that the best defense is a good legal
offense.  The guys selling "lightning eliminators" tried to get IEEE to
retract papers showing they were ineffective, for instance.