[TowerTalk] Penetrox cleaning

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sun Feb 23 08:19:45 EST 2014

Steel wool will shed as John said and then rust.  You can use stainless
steel wool (available but not at every little corner market or local
Walmart.)  Bronze wool doesn't rust and doesn't shed as bad as steel
wool but you'd want to be sure not to leave any of its debris behind to
cause dissimilar metals mischief.

Can someone mention why solvents and other measures are of interest to
remove the last vestiges of Penetrox before reapplying Penetrox? I "get
it" with respect to removing most of the old, getting rid of lumps,dirt,
etc and or smoothing the contact surfaces but why try to remove the last
vestiges of Penetrox to prepare for coating with Penetrox?  Penetrox is
formulated for long term stability.  You don't change Penetrox like
changing oil in a car every so many months or miles. " Oh, I have a high
mileage antenna, worked a lot of DX you see, I better change my old worn
out Penetrox." Never heard that before.

Patrick NJ5G