[TowerTalk] Tower heights near private airfields

Tim Duffy k3lr at k3lr.com
Sat Oct 4 23:09:33 EDT 2014

Hello Mike:

I have dealt with your exact question myself. Private airfields are not
subject to FAA protection as far as tower structures are concerned. Only
public use air facilities are.

There is no harm filing an FAA 7460-1, however it will ask you for the
nearest public use air facility, thus the private air strip may not be known
to the FAA because it is not public.

My good friend Fred, NP2X covered many of your questions a few years ago on
this reflector.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/2011-12/msg00831.html

73,
Tim K3LR