[TowerTalk] Help with saw blade selection

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Sun Aug 30 02:52:17 EDT 2015

TT:

     Recently I purchased a Ryobi  multitool  http://tinyurl.com/lq28mbk
(because I already have a Ryobi drill, batteries and recharger) to use atop
my tower when I eventually replace the rotator and add a couple of V/UHF
Yagis to the stack.  I expect that I will need to saw off the muffler clamps
that I installed with the tower in 2001 to help support the mast on the
bushing at the top and along the mast above a second rotator shelf (to use
when the rotator is temporarily removed.)  In addition, I believe I may have
to use this tool to saw off the SS U-bolts that attach the mounting bracket
of my Bencher Skyhawk to the mast above the bushing.  I'll need to release
all these items from the boom so I can lower the boom through the tower to
add the small Yagis before I install the replacement rotator.

     My question:  What specific blade should I purchase for this cutting
work?  The Ryobi tool comes with an oscillating circular saw blade for wood
but the u-bolts and muffler clamps will require a more robust blade, IMHO.
The oscillating plunge cutting blade (shown in the Home Despot link above)
might work for the muffler clamps but I could use your advice based on your
experience with this kind of tool and blades.  Is there a specific blade I
need for cutting through SS?

     While I'm at it, another question:  For those of you who have a Skyhawk
or F12, how likely is it that I'll have to saw or break off the u-bolts from
the mast plate?  I don't recall if the Skyhawk used Nylock nuts which would
make this question moot.  No, I didn't use anti-seize compound when I
installed any of the antennas on this mast.  But I will with the small
Yagis.

     Thanks for your assistance.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F