[TowerTalk] Rope/Guying

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Dec 30 08:35:43 EST 2015

Roger, I wasn't recommending duct tape but used it as a parallel example
of something used for many more things than its original purpose.
Paracord was Nylon in its original incarnation to get the shock absorber
action desired to cushion the opening impact of a parachute.  Dacron is
for when minimal stretch is desired and would be a very bad choice for
parachute rigging.  I do not know if any of the "paracord" available is
made of other than  Nylon.  Black paracord has more UV resistance than
white (which has very little) but how resistant I couldn't say as it
could easily vary from source to source.

Walmart sells a few sizes of black Dacron line in its sporting goods
section that has proven over time to be fairly UV resistant.  A hedge
against UV deterioration is to oversize the Dacron line, going
significantly larger in diameter than required to meet your minimum
strength requirements.  There is nothing "magic" about Dacron as opposed
to Nylon, each has characteristics that are a fit for various requirements.

For example (assuming sufficient UV resistance) Nylon might make a
better choice when using a flexible tree or other moveable support as
its stretchiness will allow significant motion without breakage and will
return to its original length when the wind stops blowing. Dacron has
little stretch/shock absorber action and can be more easily broken in a
situation like this. ...or it can pass significant tension (shock loads)
to other parts of the antenna structure which may be induced to
catastrophically fail. (Think slide hammer.)

For anchoring the ends of a dipole (and similar situations) I prefer to
use somewhat over-sized Black UV stabilized Dacron run through a pulley
and then connected to a weight.  This accommodates motion while keeping
the same tension on the antenna components that you designed for. It
does not self destruct if a big wind moves the tree or other components
of the system around.

Patrick        NJ5G