[TowerTalk] Universal 9-50

Big Don bigdon39 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 09:49:32 EST 2015

Actually, it's possible to erect tower sections by one's self.  We used a
small boat-trailer type winch that temporarily mounted with two U-bolts on
the side of tower just below the current position of the gin pole (winch
cable runs up inside the gin-pole tube, over the pulley and down to
whatever you want to haul up). Easily movable as tower goes up - move the
gin-pole in normal fashion with the cable slack - then go down and detach
the winch, move up to below the pole, and re-attach winch to tower. We
added a second latch on the winch to prevent an un-controlled descent if
the primary lock should inadvertently release, this was a home-brew safety
lever on the winch frame which is moved into place and will catch the crank
arm if necessary preventing a run-away - always engaged any time the winch
is left with a load on it.

Yes, it takes about twice as long as if you had a ground crew. But you have
complete total control of the process, and can easily position the next
section precisely to get it started on the stubs of the previous section.
Possibly more critical with an aluminum tower as the tube ends are more
easily deformed.

With the base section already cured in the concrete, it required us one
summer evening and all of the next day to erect 6 sections of Rohn 25 in
1977 (it's still up). But at the time we were also dealing with acrophobic
issues.  Had never previously been up anything beyond a 16-foot ladder, the
tower deal took some getting used to. Required a couple of extended breaks
just to keep our head together.....

Might be a bit hard on geezers. Involves more scrambling up and down the
tower to attach sections to the cable, and attach and adjust guys  (would
probably want temporary guys on an aluminum self-supporter - have been up
one of those and they do not inspire confidence).

73, Don  N7EF