[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Rohn Bolts AND nuts - won't mate

Hans Hammarquist hanslg at aol.com
Sun Jan 31 11:13:10 EST 2016

I find the "flimsy" TV antennas more being "mechanical fuses". I prefer if my TV antenna blows to pieces than my tower coming down due to too much wind load. They seem to be strong enough (which is what counts) to survive weather over some years.

I just scavenge a very large VHF, TV antenna from my neighbor that had been up for at least 40 years. Disregarding a few minor damages caused by the removal from his roof the antenna was in good shape and is now serving me and my XYL.

I have been thinking about that many times and wondered what tube I should use to support my antennas. If I make it just thin enough the wind load will be reduces at a heavy storm if the tube breaks, leaving the antennas as scrap metal on the ground but my tower intact. Any thoughts?

Hans - N2JFS