[TowerTalk] painting concrete

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Feb 7 10:36:03 EST 2017

In the yachting community we use ground walnut shell on painted surfaces
to create a non-slip surface even when wet (with proper foot wear.)

More aggressive non skid can be made with silica sand.  I have seen and
experienced rather course silica sand non-skid surfaces that would
definitely be something you wouldn't want to fall down on but of course
they offered excellent traction and reduced fall risk.  Commercial
fishing boats (tuna clippers with helo pads on their pilot houses) were
the source of my silica sand experience.

With ground walnut shell or silica sand one successful procedure is to
paint  the surface and while the paint is tacky spread the non-skid
material generously over it.  When dry, sweep off all the loose material
and then give it another coat of paint.  Another method of application I
have seen is to mix the non-skid material (walnut or silica sand) into
the second coat of paint and apply/spread it with a roller.

Not all sands are created equal.  Child's "Play Sand" from the big box
store is inferior for non-skid. Silica sand has sharp edges which make
for a much better non-skid effect, even when coated with paint. Larger
course silica sand has terrific non-skid properties.  Remember to wear
dust protection to avoid inhaling silica dust as once in your lungs it
is PERMANENT and silicosis is not something you want. After the silica
sand is painted and any non coated product is removed there is no
inhalation danger.  It is the fine dust that causes a problem not the
grains of sand.

Patrick        NJ5G