[TowerTalk] Galling and seizing of SS nuts to SS threaded

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed Jul 5 12:30:25 EDT 2017

Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 22:22:39 +0100
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk>
To: <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Galling and seizing of SS nuts to SS threaded
studs and bolts.

<I use Blue Loctite 2400 which comes in a simple no-mess squeeze bottle.

<Apply 2-3 drops on the bolt thread at the location where the nut will be tightened, and while still liquid the Loctite will act as a lubricant to prevent galling.

<10-20 minutes later it has set solid, positively locking the nut and also sealing the thread gap against corrosion.

<The Blue Loctite grades like 2400 are specifically designed to be loosed using hand tools, and can be applied again to the same hardware.

<One product does the whole job - no mess, no trouble.

<73 from Ian GM3SEK

##  I have never tried Blue loctite on SS hard ware.   Are you also using   SS nylocks with the SS bolts + SS screws...or just  SS regular nuts ???
Can u even use loctite with SS nylock nuts  ?
What else that might work is purple loctite.  I have never used it, but apparently its slightly weaker than the blue stuff..and may well be ideal for a lot of various applications.
What I would not recommend is red loctite.  Red loctite  is as good as welded....esp with SS machine screws...  you cant get em out.

Jim   VE7RF