[TowerTalk] Getting Rid of the Birds

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Jul 10 10:10:06 EDT 2017

I used the sensor from a dual floodlamp security light to turn on a
water control solenoid from a used appliance shop (dishwasher) They said
I could have it for free if I used my own tools to remove it. I hooked
it up to a garden hose and rain bird sprinkler.  It kept dogs from
leaving love notes on the lawn. Eventually some neighborhood kids
discovered it and put on their swim suits and played in the sprinkler
spray.  You get a fine for letting water run down the curb so I changed
to ultrasound in front and put the IR sprinkler in the back yard where
it kept cats out of my veggie garden (their sand box.)

Ultra sound projectors (look like horn tweeters) aim the sound like a
beam of light.  I would use ultrasound projectors aimed up where the
only critters blasted and disturbed would be those near your antenna or
top of your tower. You won't hear anything but the birds sure will.
Drill a couple drain holes if the design of  the transducers will hold
water when aimed up. Use either IR detector like from a security light
or random on-off which is a feature on some of the ultrasound units. I
would soon tire of hearing a horn blow or a bell ring.  You won't hear
the ultrasound but the birds will.

Both the sprinkler and the ultrasound were very effective. Having the
ultrasound random or IR activated worked very well except... A guy with
a big dog on a leash let his dog get on my lawn and set off the system.
The dog leaped away so forcefully it nearly knocked the guy down and
dragged him into the street to get away.  He acted as if his shoulder
was nearly dislocated.

Patrick        NJ5G