[TowerTalk] phased verticals again

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Mon Sep 4 21:41:12 EDT 2017

Hi Rudy,

At my qth in Connecticut, I have and continue to use WIRE 4-squares with ELEVATED radials on BOTH 40 and 80 at my qth since 1995.  In that time I have won the US in the SOABHP UNassisted category MULTIPLE times in these DX contests:  ARRLDX CW, ARRLDX SSB, CQWW SSB, WPXSSB, WPXCW, IARU, WAECW and WAESSB.  (I don’t even have a rotatable 40 meter beam!)

I tell you this because it would NOT have been able to consistently win these this extremely competitive category in these extremely competitive DX contests without the excellent performance of my 4-squares (which both use the Comtek boxes).

In short, you are overthinking this. If your are pressed for time, use the WIRE 4-square design with ELEVATED radials and the antenna will perform VERY WELL!  Just make sure that you use thin twine (I use #16) to connect the feedpoint of each element to the other elements – so that you form a SQUARE and then connect the the two diagonal elements with the twine.  This helps to maintain the exact required spacing between the array elements.

If you measure the distance between each adjacent element properly as well as each element diagonal across the square, and then connect just below each feedpoint with twine, the  the 4-square feedpoints will stay in alignment and proper spacing regardless of the wx and you will get excellent F/B, and F/S with good Forward gain at a low angle of radiation.  Make sure to get the elements and radials elevated at least 10’ for 80 meters – 15’ in height is better.

Don’t be concerned if you can’t get the elements fully vertical – all four of my elements are at least partly horizontal and the array is still VERY potent in the contest and all of the crazy DXpedition pileups.  When I have been on , there hasn’t been a major DXpedition that I haven’t worked on 80.

The formulas are simple – 246/f for element spacing and 234/f for the length of each vertical elements.  And 246/f x Vf for the lengths of the RG11 phasing lines.  For 3.5 mhz, I use either 9 Fair-rite 43 material FB-1020 beads or 7 of the 77 material FB-1024 beads. (1” OD, 0.5” ID x 1 1/8” Height) for my chokes.

Aluminum will potentially give you wider bandwidth with lower SWR and dumped power, but with my array cut and tuned for ~ 3.6 mhz, I can comfortably cover 3.5 – 3.75 mhz with no issues.

If I can win all the DX contests and easily break all the DX pileups on 80 with the array that I described (while running LEGAL, not excess, power), then your array will do very well too and you won’t have to wait until next year to enjoy the results.

Once I have the ropes in the 4 trees, it takes me approximately 4 hours to completely put up the 4 elements, set the spacing between the elements with the twine and connect all 4 elements to each other, attach all 16 elevated radials, tie them to trees and tension them,  and check and angle of the array to ensure that the 4 elements hang vertically just below the tree “connections” , and loosen and re-tighten all elements as necessary.  And then I can get on the bands and work DX!

73

Bob  KQ2M